Monday, September 8, 2008

Do You Tip Your Barber?

There are several barbers or parlors here in Journal Square, that's why when I want to get a haircut, I know where to go.

The question is: Do you tip your barber?

I think you should, even if you don't like the haircut. In my opinion, the barbers are expecting it also.

Last night, I told my barber Mohmed to cut my hair "real short." Worried that he might not be able to picture what I wanted, I kept explaining him the cut I was expecting. Mohmed nodded before I even finished my sentences, gesturing he knew what to do and I shouldn't worry.

So he continued his work. He was courteous, asking me if the length of my hair was still long before cutting it again. Other barbers are timid.

Anyway, hair cut costs $13 in Hollywood Salon. Kind of expensive compared to other stylists in the area. But I liked the cut. When I gave $20, Mohmed went to his cash box looking for change. I told him to just give me $5, leaving the $2 as a tip for him.

Is it too low? Do you tip your barber or stylist? If so, how much?

No comments: